New England Mansion
An elegant seaside mansion of America’s ‘Gilded Age’. Built in 1912, but extensively rebuilt in 1915 by Bigelow & Wadsworth Architects in the ‘French Renaissance Revival’ style or the ‘Chateauesque’ style, with parkland designed by the eminent landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, also credited with the design of New York’s Central Park. After numerous owners, the house had fallen into disrepair. The current owners acquired the property in 2015 and set about an ambitious refurbishment project, led by the New York based Peter Pennoyer Architects with Max Rollitt, in what is their first collaboration. The project has seen the extensive refurbishment of the exterior of the building, as well as the historic interiors. This included the removal of a number of insensitive modern interventions, such as a 1950s kitchen, as well as the restoration of original features such as panelling, fire surrounds and light fittings. These elegantly restored interiors will form the backdrop for a selection of carefully curated English antiques and artwork, complete with sumptuous window treatments and bespoke furnishings from Max Rollitt’s collection.